One Caribbean

Last night I was hanging out with some of my Caribbean sisters here in Taiwan; ladies from Nevis, St Lucia and my home- St Vincent.

Well you know how these conversations among women go, you talk a bit about careers, family, men, new trends (attitude, fashion...) and almost any other thing you can think of.

What struck me the most is what my firend Dianna said "we are all one people in trute you know we just on different islands".  As much as we would like to identify with the history of our own islands there are always things that connect us as "Caribbean People".  Perhaps if we learn to identify these things and to focus more on them we can give regional integration the push that it needs.

We were not talking politics though we were talking about the simple things, for instance
-Being in the kitchen with your mother and getting the bowl of rice to pick out all the black ones
-Getting licks and being told "you want something to cry bout?"
-Getting licks not cryin, to then be asked "oh so you big now eh, yo nah cry?"
-Being asked a question by your mother and when you respond you are told "Oh yo feel yo could back answer me now?"
-Being asked a question not responding and being told "Yo playing rude yo better answer me fast yo know"
- Putting everything in bread, bananas, avocado, condensed milk, sugar cake, milk and sugar...

Many people, many islands but ahh boy some things won't change no matter what island you go to.


A crazy video we did on our way home

...but seriously am I the only person who likes to roast saltfish??

Leave a Reply