Lights,Camera,Action!!

Lights, Camera, Action!! Wait! Are you wearing the right costume?


We are “profiled” by everyone whether they want to term it as that or not and whether we want to accept it or not; quite frankly it is human nature. Classic example boy/girl is asked: what is the first thing you look for in a potential mate, our answer most times- personality. Really now? I used to laugh at this answer but
not anymore there is some merit to it. After all we can tell a lot about a person by just looking at them; and we often do. Though it may be a questionable method with which to assess someone it remains a basic factor in the way we communicate.

We therefore need to pay careful attention to as we say in the Caribbean “how we carry ourselves”.

About a few months ago I had a photo as my msn messenger photo that I thought was classy but a bit sultry to me it was a safe balance until my mother sent me an email. In this email she asked do you think that picture is appropriate for a professional young woman. Well I took it down immediately, not because I always do what my mother says but because she gets paid to tell people these things so maybe I should listen. Then I went through my photos on facebook and I tried to do some cleaning because at the end of the day I want to be taken seriously. I might say silly things now and then and I will slip up from time to time, but at the end I want to send a clear message that I understand there are people who look to me to help them figure out what is right from wrong. Yes I also want to send that “professionalism” message as well after all I would look really stupid walking around in a dress that has my certificates printed on it.


In short because I know your time is precious we need to be careful about the way we dress. If you dress like a vagrant you cannot possibly expect someone to look at you and guess immediately that you are the manager of a brand like SONY. We say life is a stage so why not dress the part of the role you wish to portray. For those of you who might question this reasoning it is in no way intended to say that we should over do. There is a time and a place for everything wearing your “Sunday best” to the office’s beach lime just makes you look silly. However I will strongly say that at all times your clothing should reflect the main message you wish to tell about yourself.

Have you figured out what that message is or are you still in transition?

©Adriana S. King
13 March 2010

2 Responses so far.

Leave a Reply