Baby Mama Drama

Baby Mama Drama 
Today I saw you and that new girl you are seeing
The one with the thick thighs and the bold eyes,
And I stood there in that shop window across the street
Looking at you, looking at her.

I wanted to rush out and push this child into your arm,
But would it have bothered you, would you have understood?
That, that this child would have been my placard
Telling the world how tired I am of you
And your lame attempts at being a man
Telling the world the booty calls were over
And that I am willing to be a better father than you.
Telling the world that no matter how much I love you
And need you, I love and need me more.
Then I looked at her, looking at you
And for a minute or two I saw the woman I was
Young, spirited and golden;
And I felt like pounding her to the ground
But would she have understood that my fist was my pen
Writing to her all the empty promises you made to me
So that she would know your weak lines and your weak game.
Writing about all the late nights you would call my number
As soon as she was on her way home.
Writing about all the failed attempts to get you to see your child
Because in your mind he was not yours, forget it, he is mine.
And so I stood there in that shop window looking at both of you;
And I laughed.

©Adriana S. King, 2010

4 Responses so far.

  1. Unknown says:

    great piece Dri....

  2. Unknown says:

    Yeah this is real good Dri

  3. Unknown says:

    love the part "And so I stood there in that shop window looking at both of you;
    And I laughed." cause in the end its only we who can take care of us.. love it

  4. This poem reminds me of the statement "sex won't make a man love you and a baby wouldn't make him stay". Women need to find confidence in themselves and know that they are strong. Lovely poem.

Leave a Reply