Facts??

Facts, Assumptions and Integrity

Facts- that which has been proven
Assumption-that which could possibly one day be a fact but is yet to be proven
Integrity- that inner quality that drives us towards honesty


It upsets me everytime I hear people speak about subjects/people and or things but yet have no facts.  To use the credibility that people might give to you to sell them assumptions as facts shows that you lack integrity.  Let me explain if I were teaching a communication class and the head of a local newspaper were to come to me, and ask me for my best student, he has already selected me as a credible source; what I do during this encounter might reveal my integrity.  Do I introduce him to student A (straight A student) or do I introduce him to student B (averages 60% on exams but brings me my favourite cheese cake ever so often,
and I think one day he or she will make a great journalist).  Student A is obviously the best student and I have her grades to prove it, Student B I assume one day can be better a student and an even greater journalist than Student A.  I have two choices do I cling to my integrity and give him the facts or do I use his trust in me and sell him my assumptions.

 You decide.
©Adriana S. King
03 December 2010

Leave a Reply