My Childfather

My Childfather
Adriana S. King


Today my child father called me up.
He wants to come to see his child.
I said sure what time, he says after work.



Whatever! If he wants to see his child he can right?

So there we are waiting on this man I used to love to pull up in the car I used to drive sometimes.
Times when he was too tired to drive me home or just to lazy to drive himself.
And there she was.
Sitting on the passenger side,
Legs on the dashboard, chewing
Snapping her mouth as if her jaw would fall off
Uh uh not today.
He did not just pull up in front of my gate with this heifer
This girl who everybody else but him knows he's dating
Yea I asked him before, on several occasions.
In fact I asked him around 3am this morning
while he was reaching for his belt.
But all he did was lean in and kiss me...then left
Now this,
I turned to my child, "Get inside"
And before he could even move there I was dragging him by his little arms
And as he screamed "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy"
The anger in me rose and I threw him on the couch.
Rushed back to bolt the door, but ran smack into him
This man I used to love.
We stood there no room between us.
Me fighting to hold back the tears, the shame, the disappointment.
"Get out of my house"
My voice finally came back to me and I began to push him.
I pushed, and I pushed, he would not move.
I screamed louder
Maybe he could not hear me above the screams of our son
Maybe he could not hear me because selfishness had clogged up his ears
So I screamed again; "Get out of my house".
He stood there, not saying anything.
My eyes started hunting around the room for something anything to get this man out of my house.
Nothing
"Ok, ok you wait here!"
I ran into the kitchen grabbed the only thing I could find and ran back out
He was gone, my son was still screaming.
We were alone.

©Adriana S. King 2012

(We are only responsible for our own actions. Being a strong woman does not mean you are strong every single day, at every moment. What it does mean though, is that you are able to recognize your weaknesses and build on them, that when you slip you get back up. Never doubt your inner strength and your ability to cope with what life throws at  you.)

7 Responses so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    this is a hard one Adr... many a times i lose it like that. its hard when u expect a certain level of respect from these guys and it neva shows! but you know what always happen-the child you fight for as a child growing up ,providing all he /she needs ,turns and leave you out in he cold. just for his/her daddy!
    i am being honest i always tell my kids i will chop em two feet off before they run from me.
    I just think that alot of fathers forgettin the role they have to play in their kids lives, providing financial support is not all of it.

    you give me the extra hope day to day! love ya writings

  2. Thanks for the comment. Don't scare the children too much now. We all have our off days, when the pressures of life cause us to 'blow up'. We just to bounce back! Have a fabulous day !

  3. Mimi says:

    Wow! I felt this to my core. I don't have too much of a tumultuous relationship with my "baby-daddy" but I can relate to the anger!

  4. JL says:

    Love this Dri. 'The girl that everybody but him knows he's dating' I may steal that line lol

  5. sometimes they just know how to 'press our buttons'

  6. tulsibabi says:

    This is so relatable even if I don't have a child father but so many of the women I know experience thie drama ever so often. Kudos Dri !

  7. It IS the reality of many women and that is why as much as possible we have to be there for each other, to encourage the good. We too often allow people to walk over us and sometimes our friends urge us on to do things that only end up hurting us more. If a relationship is over let it be, or expect to be burnt.

Leave a Reply