Get up!

There I was sitting on the bus with about 5 other persons, when in comes a blind man, he feels for the over head hand bar grabs on to it and stands there...an old lady comes in takes the seat in front of him looks at him and then turns around.  So I sat there looking at this man standing in an empty bus and to me the most logical thought came to mind-he does not know the bus is empty.  I sat there and I continued thinking perhaps he does this all time and because it is far easier to stand than to feel the chair to find out if someone is in it.  The guy in front me is reading, and the other people on the bus just seem to be looking out for their stop.  I am shifting restlessly now finally I did something,
I turned to the guy in front me pretended I didn't speak much Chinese and suggested he tell the man that the bus is empty.  Not what you thought I would do right?  Honestly I was a bit scared, I was like suppose he thinks I mean him harm or something or suppose my tones don't come out right and he misunderstands me. Well guy reading the book in front of me listens to me, looks at the man and continues reading. hmmm I am back to square one, bus is still empty, I am at the back with a seat to myself and the blind man is still standing near 5 or more empty seats.

Finally I got up walked up to him and told him (in Chinese) that the seats near him are empty so he could sit if he wishes to, he said thank you, and I returned to my seat. I felt relieved, relieved that he didn't think I was attacking him, relieved that my Chinese came out perfectly, and relieved that he really did sit.

Often we are in situations where we can make the difference, and often we do nothing.  Today I did something and I am glad I did!  I hope next time I will be quicker about it.

Be the change you want to see in the world. Get up and take action!

Leave a Reply