Teachers vs Parents...

Teachers vs. Parents and Students.

That seems to be the order of the day.

Two weeks of teaching down, and all are alive and counted for, so am I!! lol

Every time I run into someone in my 'work clothes' the conversation goes a bit like this:


"Yo wukking now?"

"Yea I am teaching Lit and Lang up at ..."

This is where things get a bit iffy. Some people would then respond:

"Congrats, I knew you would have found something soon don't see what you were worried about"

Then some would exclaim:

"Teach? Girl is parents and children who does beat teachers these days you know?"

Then there are those would say:

"I think you would make a great teacher, you seem to like that kinda thing".

And of course some ask:
"Is what you study in Taiwan again?" (  I am sure you know what they are hinting at).

I have never been one to back down from a challenge, I am not confrontational by nature, the two are not the same.

When offered the opportunity to teach I grabbed it up because I figured I do so(teach) everyday anyways.  I knew I would love it, and I do!

I am not deaf and when teachers (my friends across the island), say that they are unwilling to speak to parents about their children because the parents "are always on the side of the child" it worries me. It worries me because the parents are usually my peers also, and we were taught better than that. We were taught to respect our teachers, and all elders. Why is it so hard to share these values with our children? Are we trying  so hard to avoid the mistakes we think our parents made that we are now making bigger and more dangerous ones. When children are not disciplined in the home, or at school where will the discipline come from?

We are playing a very dangerous game with our children- teaching them to undermine authority.  We wonder why there is so much crime, and why there is so little regard for the law, we need not wonder. We simply need to look in our homes to see the root of  many of the issues that plague our societies.

When parents fail to parent their children, and teachers are not allowed to teach...what next?

Leave a Reply