Poem by Jeneille Lewis

Myself & I...we got some figuring out to do...


Foolish me
Thinking that I could escape
This thing called
Your memory
That keeps me buoyed
Between what was
And would could have been
Which is
Nothing
Foolish me
Thinking that I would never
See you in my dreams
Feel you touch me
In my dreams
And wake up breathing you
Your scent that I had thought forgotten
Lingering in the fibres of my pillow
Foolish me
To think that you’d let me go
Even when we don’t see
Or speak
Or care
Or do we?
Is it just me?
Foolishly
Wanting to run my fingers over your skin
Bring you into the space that I’m in
Watching the way the sunlight turns the hair on your arms to gold
And your lips, curving into that half smile
But what I miss most
Are your eyes
And the way you look without seeing
And the way you feel without feeling
And the way we used to just be, without being
And admittedly
I still jump at the mention of your name
Afraid to question if you felt the same
Afraid to hear the words my heart already knows
Preferring this torture
To that one.

Click on the links below to find the author:
Jeneille Lewis
http://jinjersnap.blogspot.com/

One Response so far.

  1. JL says:

    oh wow! Thanks Dri. Nuff love!

Leave a Reply