Knock Knock

I was in the shower a few minutes ago, the tv was on and audible...a commercial came on talking about some sorta "relay"; I gathered that it was a bit like an answering machine for your door...something to ward off intruders.

I had to laugh.

The voice of the system asks- "Can I help you?".



If your mind operates like mine I am sure you are laughing too. You know this can not work in a house where the occupants are from the Caribbean and the intruder is also.

First thing first the intruder is going to think to himself , "wait like me dey by the wrong house, dem nah have no maid, nor no cook" (  I would expound on this but, ha ha, I won't).

This system would have to be uniquely designed to fit the Caribbean neighbourhoods in the US. Caribbean people are never happy when you show  up unannounced at their homes and few are able to mask this and answer politely. Then let's not forget how Caribbean people always think an unexpected guest has a Bible and a few tracts in hand.

A Caribbean voice system would respond with any of the following-
"Ah who?"
"Ah who dat now?"
"Yes, ah whey yo want?"
"Ah busy right now, come back later."
"Careful de dawg smell yo ah nuh."

It would be best to have a combination of these because from island to island the aggression and the general greetings differ.

Trust me the only way someone from the Caribbean answers the door with a "Can I help  you?" is if the person on the outside is they ex.

Leave a Reply