Reading is FUNdamental!

The more I listen to people read at public functions, in classrooms, on news programmes... I am becoming more and more convinced that parents and teachers need to place more emphasis on teaching children the principles of reading.

Hopefully I can find a good link soon to add to this note.


What upsets me is that someone would read an entire sentence and at the end of it my only reaction is - "WHAT?" .

Has this ever happen to you?

To me the fundamental principle of reading is relaying a 'thought' (identify each clause), what your reader hears must make sense. hmm let me see if I can explain.


Read this sentence: John and I always sit together on the bus because we love counting the passing cars.

Reader A-  John and I always sit together on the bus (pause) because we love counting (pause) the passing cars.

Reader B- John and I always sit together (pause) on the bus because we love (pause) counting the passing cars.

Reader C- John and I always sit together on the bus because (pause) we love counting the passing cars.

Reader D-  John and I always sit together on the bus because we love counting the passing cars. (no pause)

Leave a Reply