Sit like a lady

There are many women who get upset by the expression- "Sit like a lady"...some think it's sexist, some say it's derogatory. Believe you me I have heard quite a few arguments.

At the end of the day I still use it. I feel I have to say it.



They say women should cross their legs at the ankles, and men at their knees. I think the reason is obvious if you look at a woman with her legs crossed at the knees, all her glory is on exhibition!

Now a lady who crosses her ankles, has immediately lowered her legs and your chances of seeing up her skirt is lessened.

Parents please teach your girls how to sit. I see too many young girls sitting with their legs forming a 135 degree (can't find that little bubble thing to do the degree sorry). as if they are inviting the world to a cup of tea.

Teach them to not toss their skirts above their heads before sitting, this just turns my mouth bitter.

I remember my school days at the St. Joseph's Convent Kingstown, and how much it was drilled in us that a lady should do this, and a lady should do that. I remember one teacher who always said to us- "you have a back bone; use it"...to this day when I find myself slouching I hear her and try to sit up as straight as I could. Maybe I should have take piano lessons or something because it takes great effort from me to do this. I only do it because I think it looks better than slouching, and I figure I don't have money for a back brace of any sort.

The women in my family are big on 'posture' as well so the drilling never ends, now here I am following the long line of drillers- Sit like a lady!

Have a fantastic weekend people!!

A photo I bounced up on recently, still have not researched its medical accuracy...:




2 Responses so far.

  1. Mimi says:

    I had an English teacher who would say, "Sit like a lady or stand like a man!" and would make you stand for the rest of the period for bad posture. Loved her!!

  2. Anonymous says:

    Slouching is a sign of laziness, low self-esteem and confidence.

Leave a Reply