Been there! Done that!



I had a very interesting week at work.  On one particular day it struck me that most children are really quite convinced that they are smarter than adults.

My students are in class doing work, one particular child has her head down, like the others, but it is not tilted in the same direction. Her focus seems to be more in her lap, than on her desk. I sit there looking at her  for about two minutes, just waiting to see what her hands do. Ahh moment of clarity. Her right hand goes down and makes a sweeping motion...tsk tsk.

If you are a school teacher I am sure you have had similar experiences.



This is when  you give them the..."I was a Student Once Speech, Your Tricks are Old. Been there! Done That!".

Sadly sometimes when I meet some men I want to give them a similar speech, "Been there! Done that!, Sorry, but I am not Impressed".

I hate men who on a first meeting decide to tell me everything about what they have accomplished in life. I have this...I have been to... I own...

Brother man puhleeze! That might work with some women; but to a woman who has recognized that she is able to accomplish most things in life with a little hard work and discipline, your game is lame.

Sure, it helps for a man to have some weight to his name, I can't name a single woman who wants to date a man who is not an asset in some way. The thing is though relationships are far more than material things.

Women are getting up and out, doing things on their own and trying to realize their full potential, so when you come along with your "I Have This and That Game", don't be surprised if she give you the 'cut eye', chances are she's been there and done that...on her own.

One Response so far.

  1. Unknown says:

    As a former child myself I think you may be right...I remember as a child I always thought I was pretty smart but as I got older I realized that I was wrong about a lot of what I thought I knew. I've been humbled over the years by these experiences and while I still have strong opinions sometimes I am open to the possibility of being wrong.

    I think there is a relationship between ignorance and confidence. The less we know the more confident we are in what we think we know and the more we learn the less confident we get about what we think we know.

Leave a Reply