Reading is Fundamental

As a child I enjoyed reading.

I read EVERYTHING! I wasn't forced to read, I just read. I watched T.V. too... lots of it... during school vacations and on weekends. Television on schooldays was a 'luxury'.

Today I am glad I read as much as I did, because I often amaze myself and my students when I am able to talk about things that I should know little about.

As a teacher of English, I always tell students and parents that the key to becoming a great English student is to read.



So why am I writing this post?

One single reason!

I have been reading the same book for days now...sometimes I read it seven or eight times in a row. Ah tired! I know the story by heart now...I think. lol

The name of the book is "The Perfect Picnic Spot", written by Lisa Ann Marsoli and it is part of the Mouse Works, Lift the Flap collection. My daughter recently turned two and her favourite person in the world, second to me of course, her auntie thought this book would make a great gift. She loves it! I love it too because she gets to lift the flaps and is excited EVERY SINGLE TIME to tell me what is under the flap.

Before bed time tonight she turned to me and said, "Read for you". The book was no where in sight...I knew where it was but I didn't move. I looked at her and she looked at me and then said, "Book", so I went and got it and for the 'hundreth' time I read the story of Poo and friends on their quest to find a perfect picnic spot.

I read it and I will continue to read it in the most expressive and excited ways I could think of because I wish for her not to struggle learning the English language. I want her to know a little about everything and most of all I want her to be able to appreciate the differences she will encounter in this world.

I saw a Meme once that said nothing replaces your lap, read to your child...or something like that.

Reading impacts the way your child thinks and the way they speak, and act.

 Please read to your child, read with your child, read in the presence of your child.





One Response so far.

  1. I am guilty of running away from it because I get so tired, but you are absolutely right. Reading is super important and so we have to invest that time to read for our kids. After a while, she will be taking up the books for herself and read to you, maybe :)

Leave a Reply