Death...Respect...Commess

Yesterday, our family was shaken up by the fact that a mother/grandmother/sister/niece/aunt... had passed.

I have said it a million times and I would continue to say it, we seem to lose all 'humanity' when someone dies...especially under tragic circumstances.



A woman or man is murdered or killed in an accident and our immediate goal is to be the first to post a photo on a social network. We forget that that person has a soul and that many more souls will be hurt to see the body of their loved one plastered all over the internet. We forget too that these sites are faster than a phone call and so sometimes the news reaches loved ones living abroad in the most horrific way.

Yesterday I was angry. I am yet to even come to grips with how I feel about the passing of my cousin because I am honestly still a little angry.

For whatever reason the community was so caught up in viewing her body that only a single person stopped to think of notifying her immediate family.

I literally had to stand guard at her house after I got the news to chase people away. I had to look several persons in the face and tell them bluntly; "there is no exhibition here".

Have we become such a sick people that we have no respect for the dead and those who are left to mourn?

Is commess so important that we would disrespect even the dead?

It is about time we give people some breathing space, especially when they are faced with the sudden death of a family member.

It is about time too we allow the police time to do their job properly. At the sudden passing of someone the only persons who should be busy in and out are police officers not the general public. One lady even tried to get in the house by entering the yard with the police, guess she did not expect me to ask each officer to say who they were. So, with one look from me she had to as my cousin would have put it, "turn she face whey she back come from". The nerve of some people!

...

My cousin was well known for many reasons- good and bad. Luckily the good outweighed the bad and so she will certainly be missed by all.

RIP Janice




Leave a Reply