Mad Contractor





This man, once on a contract, but now dismissed
Sneaks around with my birth right in his pocket
As if per chance he really believes it to be his.
As if he believes that Elizabeth Richmond,
Known to many as Mama Liz, gave birth to him
His father, or his mother so that he could now
Lay claim to that which she sweated and cried over.
He lurks in the shadows hoping for a listening air
To tell of how I dismissed him “unfairly”,
As if that gives him the right to walk around with my lineage.
My lineage stuffed in his pocket along with gum wrappers, and supermarket receipts.
I wonder if he understands that I would rather die than part with
Or allow anyone to disregard the hard work of this woman, who raised many women…
To be strong,  brave,  and fearless.
Her blood flows through me as thick, and undiluted as it flowed through her  veins.
I am her child, she is my mother.
Who does he think he is?
Who has given him the right to stuff me in his pocket;
To store me in darkness and, dirt.
I shall take back what is rightfully mine and I shall not sleep until I do.


One Response so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    Brilliant

Leave a Reply