Such is Life


They say; “ no good turn goes on unpunished”.  

I am reminded of this daily. You stop to give someone a ‘shelter’ under your umbrella and the next thing you know they are pushing you out into the rain. You save a seat for someone and somebody else comes in and gives you a few choice words for doing so.
There I am at the supermarket today waiting on a ride home, three children come up to me; “Miss this money could spend here?” they flash Trini dollar bills at me. I told them no and then questioned them a bit, “where did you get the money from?”,  “why aren’t you at home?”…


They explained that they got the money from some “Canadians” and that they were trying to fill a sponsor sheet. I said ok here what I would change the money for you. I explained to them that each would get half the amount they had, they agreed to this, until they realized that the little boy with the $10 would get $5 and the rest would get $1.50.  The little girl was quite upset and explained that she had the $10 first, the boy quickly informed me that she exchanged it for the three bills he had (parents please teach your children about currencies). Anyways , the young man soon shouts; “well done nuh” and that was the end of that. Lol

I gave them the XCD, took the TT notes, and off they went into the supermarket, not  long after the three strolled by with the largest ice creams I’ve seen on cones, except for the skyscraper wannabe ones in Taiwan.

I just smiled. I guess children will always be children.

About 5 minutes later the little girl returns still licking her ice cream but trailing a lady, who asked if I was the woman who changed the money for them because her daughter told her they got some Canadian dollars. A young man who was standing behind me for the longest while said to her; “ nah , nah miss is some Trinidad money dem bin have, ah nah no Canadian”. She looked at me smiled and said; “Oh me just come ask nuh, nah notnu”. I smiled and she was on her way.
 Look how today I was going to get beat up for trying to help out three picney by relieving them of TT dollars they could not spend.
Make sure when yo help people yo have witness eh cause yo never know…yo just never know. 

Leave a Reply